The Biggest Bathroom Renovation Trend of 2019
The introduction of pattern, texture and colour to bathrooms this year has come primarily via tiles that are eye catching, not only because of their intricate motifs and textural surfaces but also due to a diverse and broad range of hues. When using such visually pleasing tiles for your bathroom renovation, one must try to exercise restraint ensuring that statement tiles appear on the floor only or as a feature wall. Something to consider when selecting a tile is the tile type. There are many types of tiles but, when thinking patterned, the 3 most popular at the moment are encaustic, ceramic and porcelain.
Encaustic: Encaustic tiles are ceramic tiles in which the pattern or figure on the surface is not a product of the glaze but of different colours of clay. They are usually of two colours but a tile may be composed of as many as six.
- Very resilient and hard wearing. Due to the depth of colour, even if chipped the surface colour will continue to show.
- A huge variety of patterns available.
- Great to use in any room.
- Susceptible to damage from acids causing staining if not sealed correctly.
Ceramic: A ceramic tile is typically made from red or white clay. The glaze is what gives a ceramic tile its colour and pattern.
- A glazed ceramic tile is water and stain resistant.
- Very durable and tough. Great tile for flooring.
- Very low maintenance.
- Hard, cold surface to walk on.
- Depending on the size, can be very heavy to lift and install.
Porcelain: Is a type of ceramic tile which is made using clays with finer particles. It is fired at a higher temperature which creates a harder glazed surface when compared to ceramic.
- One of the toughest flooring options available.
- Extremely resistant to liquid penetration and staining.
- Very low maintenance and offers a long lifespan.
- Porcelain tiles tend to be heavy and this can make them difficult to install.
- Porcelain tiles can be somewhat pricey.
Decorating with patterned tiles gives you the option to create incredible designs to bring out your personal style. You can find numerous ways to mix and match colours and patterns while experimenting with contrast. When using patterned tiles in your bathroom renovation, here are a few tips to consider:
- The more ‘wow’ factor your tiles have, the more pared back the rest of your bathroom should be. Using white as a balance will keep things fresh.
- Grout also plays an important functional role. Choosing a matching grout achieves a uniform look, whereas a contrasting grout will highlight the tiles.
- If a patterned feature wall or floor is too wild for you, a patterned niche in the shower or near the bath is a great option too.
- If you have a small bathroom but want a patterned feature, consider using the pattern on the bottom half of the wall and using plain or light tiles at the top. This approach will draw the eye upwards and across the room making it feel larger.
- Patterned tiles paired with natural materials such as wood, concrete etc…create a chic look.
- Tiles with a matte finish are perfect for bathroom floors. They offer excellent grip and slip resistance.
- Tiles that are affixed to sheets can help reduce labour costs as they are quicker to install.
- Handmade tiles will have irregularities and can be tricky to install. Leave this to professional tilers to lay.
Patterned floor tiles are continuing to grow in popularity and this is partly due to the advancements in technology allowing printed tiles to be more slip resistant and long lasting for floors. Suppliers we find most knowledgeable and reputable are:
Beaumont Tiles – https://www.beaumont-tiles.com.au/
Amber Tiles – https://www.ambertiles.com.au/
National Tiles – https://www.nationaltiles.com.au
Di Lorenzo Tiles – https://www.dilorenzo.com.au/
Tile Cloud – https://tilecloud.com.au/
Are you ready to renovate your bathroom, or would just love to talk to someone and ask some questions? Contact Novalé Bathrooms today on 1800 NOVALE to request a free consult. We’d love to help you create an amazing and comfortable bathroom you can truly be proud of in your beautiful home.